Platinum is one of that rarest metals on earth, making it a solid member of the precious metals family. Though it does not get nearly the attention that its counterparts gold and silver receive, platinum is still one of the more popular commodities for investors as well a number of industries. About half of the world’s supply of the shiny metal goes towards emission control devices for automobiles; as a catalyst it allows for the combustion of unburned hydrocarbons from the exhaust into carbon dioxide and water vapor, though it also appears in thermometers and dental tools. For those looking to stay up to date on platinum futures and the commodity’s overall environment, we outline five blogs to help give you a leg up on this hard asset [see also Ultimate Guide To Platinum Investing.
- Platinum Today: This is one of the best websites for platinum investors and is a must read for anyone curious about this industry. The site features daily news articles about the various price drivers and trends impacting platinum as well as up-to-date pricing and more. Great article: Platinum stent system wins FDA approval.
- Platinum Investing News: Though not updated as frequently as the aforementioned website, this blog also features consistent updates on the precious metal. Platinum Investing News features more of a trading spin as it tends to focus on the commodity itself more than the factors around it. Great article: Industry Reports Project Platinum Surplus in 2012.
- T&K Futures and Options: This site features commentary on a number of commodities, but it keeps a thorough section exclusively for platinum and its traders. Also, the site allows one to open a “practice” trading account in which you can test your theories with fake money before moving into the real thing (this includes platinum trading). See a typical post from T&K here.
- Trade Precious Metals: This blog (as the name would suggest) focuses on all four precious metals, though it still dedicates a robust portion of its site to platinum. Those interested in technical analysis and trading tips will find this resource to be particularly helpful when it comes to platinum. Great article: Platinum Miners Surge On Bargain Buying.
- Seery Futures: This website, which also acts as a brokerage for those wishing to open an account, features regular commentary on precious metals. As such, platinum headlines often make their way into the blog, giving traders a good outline of how the commodity is behaving. Great article: Precious Metals Lower Despite A Lower Dollar.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.