Investing in physical gold has been a mainstay for a number of years, as many people have found the value in holding on to this precious metal and watching it appreciate in price. But for those who are looking to start a gold collection of their own, there are a number of factors that come in to play. Below, we have assembled an all-encompassing guide of articles and resources from around the web to educate you on every facet of the physical gold industry [see also Three Reasons Why Gold Is Overvalued].
First things first, you will need to know some of the biggest and most trusted dealers in the gold industry.
- APMEX: A straight up, no-nonsense website that is focused on those looking to purchase bullion of all kinds, be it bars, coins, or even rare collectibles.
- Kitco: While Kitco is a big seller of the yellow metal, it is also a vital resource as it offers forums and educational centers to help investors make the best decisions as well as learn from other individuals from all around the world.
- Goldline: This dealer is something of a mix between the previous two as it grants equal focus on selling and educating gold investors.
- BullionVault: A great resource that gives investors the option to store their purchases in vaults in New York, London, and Zurich with the option to either sell or withdraw bars at any time.
- BuyGold.org: A site focused on gold and gold only. Investors can choose from a number of bullion options including the American Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf, and the South African Krugerrand among many others.
Once you have actually bought the gold, you will need to know how to properly store it to keep it safe and undamaged [for more gold news subscribe to our free newsletter].
- What You Need to Know About Storing Physical Gold: This article outlines the three most popular options for storing gold as well as the ups and downs of each with plenty of helpful tips along the way.
- Where to store gold? Home vs safe deposit vs gold vault: This article outlines various ways to store your bullion and gives a very detailed cost analysis of each option.
- Owning Gold Is One Thing, Storing It Quite Another: Another good article on the advantages and disadvantages of storing your own gold.
- Bury Your Treasure: Tips On Storing Gold: An unbiased source that outlines various storage options.
- Storing gold – at home, in a safety deposit box, or with your dealer: A article that digs into the ups and downs of each storage option.
- Tips for Storing Gold Coins and Bullion: As suggested in the title, this article gives you tips and tricks to make sure that your storage goes smoothly.
- Beware of gold storage and safety deposit boxes –store your gold at home: An article that generally focuses on all of the dangers of storing your gold in a safety deposit box.
- Kitco Raid: Why You Should Avoid Storing Gold in Canada: An opinionated piece on why the author believes that storing gold with our neighbors to the north is a poor decision.
One thing that often is overlooked by investors are the tax ramifications of physical gold investing [see also Jim Rogers Says: Buy Commodities Now, Or You’ll Hate Yourself Later].
- The Taxation of Gold: A nice brief overview of how gold taxation works.
- Taxing Gold and Silver Investments: An article that talks about how both gold and silver are treated come tax season.
- Hidden Gold Taxes: The Secret Weapon Of Bankrupt Governments: More of a “doom and gloom” piece that focuses on some of the unseen taxes that can hurt gold investors.
- Gold Coin Sellers Angered by New Tax Law: A news piece about a tax law that hurt dealers and sellers across the nation.
- Investing in Physical Gold Can Cost You: The article focuses on physical investing as a whole, but features a nice section on the taxation of this precious metal.
The following resources give general information and facts on physical investing as a whole.
- How Safe Is Your Physical Gold?: An article that talks about the dangers that investors will encounter when investing in physical bullion.
- Understanding Paper Versus Physical Gold: A well-written piece that talks about physical gold versus paper assets.
- Introduction to Trading Gold: It certainly isn’t the prettiest web page in the world, but that doesn’t mean it should be discredited. This article is chock-full of important tips and tricks for gold bugs of all kinds.
- How Investors Should Approach Physical Gold: Plain and simple, this article outlines to best ways to approach physical gold investing.
- The Reasons for Investing in Physical Gold: This piece outlines why someone would opt for physical investing over other forms of gold exposure.
- A New Way To Buy Physical Gold: A great Forbes article that outlines an up-and-coming method of making a physical gold allocation.
- The Definitive Guide to the American Gold Eagle Coin: Our very own piece which outlines one of the most popular gold coins in the world, the American Gold Eagle.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.