Silver investing has made a name for itself in recent years, as investors have begun to look at the precious metal as a strong store of value as well as a safe haven play. Silver also has close ties to the industrial world, giving it greater ties to the economy than gold. But for those who are looking to start a silver collection of their own, there are a number of factors that come in to play. Below, we have assembled an all-encompassing guide of articles and resources from around the web to educate you on every facet of the physical silver industry [for more silver news subscribe to our free newsletter].
First things first, you will need to know some of the biggest and most trusted dealers in the silver industry [see also 25 Ways To Invest In Silver].
- APMEX: A straight up, no-nonsense website that is focused on those looking to purchase bullion of all kinds, be it bars, coins, or even rare collectibles.
- Kitco: While Kitco is a big seller of the white metal, it is also a vital resource as it offers forums and educational centers to help investors make the best decisions for them as well as learn from other individuals from all around the world.
- BullionVault: A great resource that gives investors the option to store their purchases in vaults in New York, London, and Zurich with the option to either sell or withdraw bars at any time.
- Bullion Direct: A website that has a very well-rounded focus. While it offers live pricing and the ability to purchase/sell all four precious metals, it also has a timely news section to keep investors up to date.
- JM Bullion: This site sells both silver and gold and also offers analysis and guides to helps investors of all levels make appropriate allocations.
Though a number of the following resources talk primarily about storing gold, the same practices will apply to silver investors wishing to keep their physical bullion safe and sound [see also Were Gold and Silver Manipulated Alongside LIBOR?].
- Personally Storing Silver Coins and Bullion: A good do-it-yourself guide for those looking to explore the various options of silver storage.
- How to Store, Hide, Keep, & Protect Your Silver: An article that outlines some of the more clever ways that people choose to hide their bullion.
- What You Need to Know About Storing Physical Gold: This article outlines the three most popular options for storing gold as well as the ups and downs of each with plenty of helpful tips along the way.
- Where to store gold? Home vs safe deposit vs gold vault: This article outlines various ways to store your bullion and gives a very detailed cost analysis of each option.
- Owning Gold Is One Thing, Storing It Quite Another: Another good article on the advantages and disadvantages of storing your own gold.
- Bury Your Treasure: Tips On Storing Gold: An unbiased source that outlines various storage options.
- Storing gold – at home, in a safety deposit box, or with your dealer: A article that digs into the ups and downs of each storage option.
- Tips for Storing Gold Coins and Bullion: As suggested in the title, this article gives you tips and tricks to make sure that your storage goes smoothly.
- Beware of gold storage and safety deposit boxes –store your gold at home: An article that generally focuses on all of the dangers of storing your gold in a safety deposit box.
- Kitco Raid: Why You Should Avoid Storing Gold in Canada: An opinionated piece on why the author believes that storing gold with our neighbors to the north is a poor decision.
One thing that often is overlooked by investors are the tax ramifications of physical silver investing [see also Five ETFs To Own During The Next Market Collapse].
- Taxing Gold and Silver Investments: An article that talks about how both gold and silver are treated come tax season.
- Understanding Gold and Silver Taxes: A nice, quick article to help you get a better understanding of the tax treatments of this commodity.
- Capital Gains Tax Guide for Investors: A very short but effective resource discussing collectibles and their tax burden, including both silver and gold as well as some of the ETFs that track the two metals.
- A Better Tax Rate on Silver: An article that discusses using securities to obtain favorable tax treatment over physical investing.
- The Gold and Silver Taxation Scam: An article which discusses the drawbacks of physical silver’s tax rates.
The following resources give general information and facts on physical investing as a whole [see also Four Commodities To Buy Before Roubini’s “Perfect Storm”].
- SilverIsWealth: A website that focuses on silver investing including the ins and outs of physical exposure.
- Should You Invest in Physical Silver?: An article that makes a case for why investors should spring for physical silver allocations.
- What Are The Most Popular Silver Bullion Coins?: Our very own piece that focuses on the various silver coins that investors can purchase.
- Top 20 Silver Investing Forums: Another Commodity HQ piece that focuses on silver forums to help investors connect with like-minded individuals to share ideas and tips on this precious metal.
- The Definitive Guide to the American Silver Eagle Coin: A piece that focuses on the American Silver Eagle, a popular option for U.S. investors.
- Everything You Need to Know About the Silver Eagle Monster Box: The monster box is only meant for the most serious investors, but for those wishing to put their money where their mouth is, this article tells you how to do it.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.