Energy commodities include a number of different oil and gas products, such as natural gas and various grades of crude oil. These resources are critical to every day life, and are among the most visible commodities to many consumers. They are also among the most widely-traded commodities.
Energy commodities have appeal from an investment perspective because they are used so widely in an number of industrial applications, and can see significant price appreciations in relatively short periods of time. Energy commodities can also serve as a hedge against personal consumer expenditures, since rising oil prices translate into higher prices of gasoline and various goods that require long distance transport. That makes energy commodities a nice hedge against inflation as well, as increases in oil and gas prices tend to ripple across the economy.
There are a number of ways to invest in both baskets of energy commodities and specific resources, including liquid options and futures contracts, ETFs and ETNs, and stocks of companies in the energy sector.
Energy In The News
- The Next Big Industry: Sand
- 2 Commodity Stocks to Sell on the Next Pop: FTI, POT
- More Charges of Oil Manipulation Plague Major Producers
- 5 Commodity Stocks to Be Thankful for This Year
- 2 Commodity Stocks to Buy on the Dip: APC and BHP
- A Closer Look At EIA’s Latest Short-Term Energy Outlook
- 2 Commodity Stocks To Sell On The Pop: KMI, POT
- Earnings Recap: Chesapeake Beats Estimates; MOS and RGLD Miss the Mark
- Commodity Earnings This Week: MLPs in Focus
- Q3 Earnings Scorecard: Commodity Stock Hits And Misses
- 2 Commodity Stocks To Buy On The Dip: COG and DOW
- Commodity Earnings This Week: Oil, Potash, Gold, and More
- 2 Commodity Stocks To Sell On The Pop: AEM and MPC
- Commodity Earnings This Week: Big Oil Under the Microscope
- 2 Energy Stocks To Buy On The Dip: GPOR and COG
- Africa: The New Frontier For Europe’s Refiners
- 2 Commodity Stocks To Sell On The Pop: BHP, VALE
- Major Commodity Earnings On Tap: EPB, KMI, SLB
- 2 Commodity Stocks To Buy When The Government Shutdown Ends
- Natural Gas Bucking the Seasonal Trend