Gold has symbolized wealth from the beginning of recorded history, and fascination with this precious metal has not diminished. While it is used extensively in jewelry and some industrial applications, today gold is viewed by many as insurance against fiat currencies that rely on faith in the government that issues them.
Gold’s intrinsic value is based on its beauty, scarcity and universal appeal. Over the past several years, it has attracted more attention as an investment as prices have risen for all precious metals. Gold is one alternative for investors looking to diversify their risk and create a hedge against inflation, war, economic upheaval and global unrest.
There are many ways to invest in gold, and there are apps that can help you decide when and where to buy or sell. We think these ten are worth checking out.
- Gold Research: This app provides unique research and reference guides on gold, investment strategies, and market drivers from the World Gold Council and specialist contributors.
- BullionVault: This app is formatted for the iPhone, iPad and Android devices. In addition to real-time pricing, the app provides historical pricing for gold and silver in chart format. The content includes information on market demand for gold and other precious metals. The app features a real-time trading platform that allows clients to trade metals after downloading the app. BullionVault is a member of the London Bullion Market Association and stores its metals in vaults located in New York, London, and Zurich.
- Bullion Investor: It comes preloaded with over 500 popular coins and bars that you can track in virtual portfolios. Real-time pricing allows you to value and track gold, silver, and platinum investments. It features an investment summary portfolio that breaks down all investments by type and value, along with professional graphs and charts for performance status and trend analysis. Historical data includes daily metal prices since 1968 and daily currency data since 1980. It can also incorporate buy and sell premiums, as well as any applicable taxes. Your data is protected by a personal access code [see also Why Peter Schiff Urges a Return To a Gold Standard].
- Gold Price Center: Gives live prices on the notification center and is a good way to keep up with gold prices at a glance.The app is compatible with the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Gold Price Live: This app compares gold and silver prices from all major U.S. gold dealers in 26 national currencies. It also provides current and historical price charts and allows you to search for and save the best deals. You can call dealers directly from within the app. Pricing trends and other information are included along with daily commentary. Important support and resistance levels are updated in real-time. End of day quotes are provided for major U.S. stock averages, U.S. dollar, gold/silver ratios and the DJIA priced in ounces of precious metals.
- Investing In Gold & Silver: This app provides real-time access to breaking news and information on the precious metals marketplace in text, audio, and video formats. It features buy and sell alerts based on its recommended price points. Its podcasts feature experts such as Marc Faber, Robert Kiyosaki, Mike Maloney, Bill Murphy from the Gold Antitrust Act and James Turk from Goldmoney.
- iGoldLive: This app features a Gold News button that connects to timely articles on world events that influence gold prices. Current prices for gold, silver, platinum, and palladium are displayed in real-time. Chart and graph options are available for daily, monthly, yearly, five-year, and 10-year time frames.
- eGold Prices: This app provides iPhone and iPod Touch users with spot prices for gold, silver, palladium, and platinum. It gives price breakdowns in both ounces and kilos directly from live servers. Market value trackers and graphic information are updated in real-time. An intraday overview is available in hourly breakdowns.
- Kcast Gold Live! Widget: This app is rich with features to help you track precious metals, base metals, mining stocks, oil, and the major stock indices. It tracks exchange rates for 13 currencies, and provides conversion rates for your preferred unit of measure. Historical and technical charts are available in rotatable full-screen format. You can preset the time zone to local, GMT or New York, and prices will be displayed at the refresh rate you select. Its customizable for manual or automatic update and has four language options. News, press releases, videos, and commentaries are provided real-time.
- Gold Tracker: Live quotes on this app are available in over 150 currencies, and weight denominations are available in grams, kilograms, troy ounces. and pennyweights. Real-time quotes and advanced charting allow you to track performance and calculate your average purchase costs. The price calculator allows you to input any purity value and determine commissions as a percent of spot. The chart function features large-sized, landscaped graphics that include hourly, monthly, 60-day, six-month, yearly, five-year and 10-year options.
Investing Info on the Go
In addition to the apps listed above, there are many others that provide news and information that is geared toward general investing rather than precious metals. They will broaden your knowledge and understanding of the world currency and financial markets and economic conditions that may ultimately drive the price of gold up or down.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.