Futures investing was the original means of establishing exposure to commodities. It was first utilized by farmers and other commodity producers in order to hedge against poor crop yields.
Today, futures contracts can be utilized by anyone with an account, allowing a number of active traders to open positions in their favorite hard assets. But keeping up with the ins and outs of the futures world can be a tall order. Below, we outline the top 100 futures blogs (in no particular order) from around the web to give investors a leg up on these trading vehicles.
The following blogs fall under the general futures knowledge category.
- Futures Mag: A website dedicated to all things futures including ETFs, forex, commodities and more.
- Trend Following Mentor: A great blog that focuses on the general investing and futures world.
- Trading Pub: A unique blog that aims to create an online community for active traders.
- Stock Rock and Roll: A site that features actionable trading ideas and futures commentary.
- Trading Concepts: A broad based resource for those who actively participate in markets.
- Commodity & Derivative Advisors Blog: A good resource with consistent industry analysis.
- Stock Futures and Options Tips: A general blog on futures trading.
- Stock Nifty Tips: A general blog that focuses on stock trading as well as futures and options contracts.
- Stock Market Analysis: An extremely active blog that focuses on overall markets and futures contracts mainly concerning major indexes.
- FuturesKnowledge: A good resource for staying up to date with the world of futures.
- Ultra High Frequency Trading: A more detailed resource that focuses on the high-frequency trading world as a whole.
- Safe Haven: A broad website that focuses on all facets of the investing world.
- Econ Matters: Another website that explores every corner of the financial world.
- Investors Council: One of the most active blogs on this list, this website will give you a nice broad overview of the futures world.
- Support And Resistance: A new blog that aims to help investors work their way around the futures world.
- Phil’s Stock World: A very active blog that focuses on both options and futures contracts.
- Bill McCready’s Futures Blog: A great resource on various futures trades.
- Alpari: A general site that gives education information to traders to help them make futures plays.
- The Big Picture: This is a very easy to read blog with short articles on everything that is going on in the market and economy.
- INO: A regularly updated blog that tends to focus on flash news and trading tools.
- FuturesKnowledge: A general site that gives traders everything they need to know about futures.
The Casual Investor
The following resources are for casual futures investor [see also The Guide To The Biggest Companies In Every Major Commodity Sector].
- Trader Kingdom: A site that features a great blog on futures trading and market trends.
- Inside Futures: One of the best all-encompassing sites for futures knowledge and information.
- Traders Log: This site features articles and forums dedicated to futures markets.
- FuturesTrader71: A great futures-based website that also features a nice blog for its users.
- Chuck’s Commodities Blog: About.com’s commodities blog is a great resource for futures information on these hard assets.
- Attain Capital Management: A well-known name in the futures world, Attain’s blog will give you the latest analysis and insight into the futures world.
- 24/7 Wall St: This blog tends to focus on the investing world as a whole but will still offer good analysis and information on futures markets.
- Technical Traders: A great website for all things technical trading including a wide variety of options advice.
- Wisdom Financial: The Wisdom Financial blog has a heavy tilt towards commodities futures.
- Resource Investor: A great resource for those looking to stay up to date on the latest news in the futures world.
- RJO Futures: This trading platform also comes packed with up-to-date news and trends for commodity futures.
- Etoro: A blog to help get your feet wet in the wide world of futures trading.
- Ichimoku Trade Blog: A good blog with actionable trade ideas for its readers.
- Farm Futures: A blog specifically designed for all things farm futures trading.
These websites are designed specifically for those who have a wealth of experience with futures [see also 25 Things Every Financial Advisor Should Know About Commodities].
- SidewaysMarkets: A site heavily geared towards active traders, including trading courses and FAQs.
- Afraid to Trade: This blog features regular updates on the futures world along with charts and other technical indicators.
- Emini Academy: A blog that features strategies and futures trading techniques.
- Emini Methods: Another blog dedicated to trading various e-mini futures.
- Advance Trading: A nice blog in video format. It keeps advanced investors up to date with weekly in-depth market analysis and overviews .
- Futures Options Trading: An excellent resource for those looking to dabble in options or futures contracts, as many commodity investors do.
- SMB U: A great blog that focuses on all facets of the financial world including futures trading.
- E-Futures: This website features training for all levels but offers a very compelling resource center for advanced traders.
- Quantitative Research and Trading: An advanced website created by Dr. Jonathan Kinley, Head of Quantitative Trading at Systematic Strategies LLC and Faculty at New York University Stern School of Business, Carnegie Mellon and Reading Universities.
- High Probability Trading: Great monthly analysis from a detailed trader.
- Optimus Trading Group: This website features advanced futures trading videos and helpful charting tips.
These blogs hone in on a particular sector or asset [see also The Most Profitable Months to Trade Gold].
- Agricultural Futures Trading: As suggested in the title, this resource focuses on agriculture futures trading.
- Emini Addict: A great blog dedicated solely to futures trading.
- Jim Sinclair’s MineSet: A great blog that tends to focus on the precious metals space.
- Forex Crunch: A blog that hones in on forex trading and futures.
- Baby Pips: A forex trading site that also features a blog on futures and other trading vehicles.
- Tips and Pips: A blog with a strong focus on analysis and trading psychology. It covers the basics related to economics and forex trading through its use of articles and videos.
- 321 Gold: A blog wholly dedicated to precious metals traders and investing news and reports .
- Investor Place: A great website that discusses the financial world as a whole, but has a soft spot for precious metals futures.
- Gold Investing News: A great resource for those looking to hone in on gold futures and trends.
- IndiaNivesh: Run by one of the leading financial services conglomerate in India, this blog offers helpful short readings and updates for commodity futures traders.
- Energy Outlook: This blog sets its sights on the entire energy industry while still offering a nice economic outlook for interested investors.
- OilPrice: Another great website for those looking to focus in on one commodity, in this case crude oil and energy futures.
- Khor Reports- Palm Oil: This website specifically focuses on crude palm oil futures.
- GotGoldReport: Another solid blog that features news as well as analysis surrounding gold and gold futures.
- Fuel Fix: A great website that focuses on the energy world.
- Commodity Trader: A futures and options blog focused on the commodities industry.
- Day in the Life of a Bond Trader: A blog that will cater to those looking for fixed-income futures.
- CPO Futures: This blog focuses on the basics of crude palm oil futures on the Bursa Malaysia Derivatives.
- Copper Updates: Traders rejoice, this blog is heavily focused on pricing and futures contracts for copper.
- Platts: This blog aims to provide both news and analysis for investors of crude.
The following blogs are aimed at providing knowledge on the futures industry as a whole [see also Understanding Contango Through Natural Gas Futures].
- Emini Mind: Helping investors learn about e-mini contracts and strategies on how to trade them.
- Emini Radio Blog: A blog from the Christian Financial Radio Network, this resource is heavily geared towards education of the futures market.
- Slope of Hope: A good resource for those looking to learn more about equity futures.
- Options Click: A website that offers a knowledge-driven blog to give you a leg up on futures contracts.
- Investing.co.uk: A website that seeks to provide its readers with general knowledge on futures contracts.
- Traders Laboratory: An all-encompassing resource for active traders.
- Seery Futures: A great website that features a fair amount of updates on futures and options.
- T&K Futures and Options: This site features commentary on a number of commodities, but it keeps a thorough section exclusively for copper and its traders. Also, the site allows one to open a “practice” trading account in which users can test theories with fake money before moving into the real thing.
- FuturesBlogs: A deep look at the entire world of futures trading.
- Trading Markets: A website that has a specific section designed to teach you how to successfully trade e-mini futures.
- Center for Futures Education: A great resource for those who are new to futures contracts.
- United Futures Trading Company: An online futures broker with an education center to get you started on your very own trades.
- Efutures: Another great website for general futures knowledge.
- CME Group Resource Center: One of the largest futures exchanges in the world, the CME Group houses an excellent resource center for traders of all kinds.
- Trading Charts: A site that offers both futures education as well up-to-date commodity futures news.
- Pristine.com: A site that aims to educate and aid futures traders of all levels.
- Traders Network: Weekly updates to help keep you in the know in the futures world.
- Mirus Futures: A site that offers free trading education.
- LiveCharts: This U.K.-based website has plenty to offer for those looking to learn about the futures world.
- SJ Options: A website that focuses its posts on teaching you the ins and outs of options futures as new mechanisms come out in the market.
- Money Maker Edge: A blog that focuses on futures of all kinds.
These blogs are personally run by their authors:
- Daniels Trading: This blog is focused on trading as a whole but will include futures trading advice and actionable ideas.
- Stock Options Trading: A great resource for those who are just getting their feet wet in the world of futures.
- Ag Futures Trading: A futures blog run by a veteran trader.
- The Lazy Trader: A personal blog written by a trader with previous experience as an IT professional. Provides insightful information for those looking for mechanical forex/passive strategies.
- Peter Brandt: This blog has a heavy focus on trading proprietary capital. It was written by Peter Brandt, author of the #1 commodity and forex trading book on Amazon.
- Terry’s Tips for Stock Options Success: Another blog for dedicated futures traders with insight into both the futures and options markets.
- Carl Futia: Another blog that focuses on its author’s trades and activity in futures markets.
- Trader Dan’s Market Views: A professional commodity trader bringing you his insights and analysis of the current futures market.
- Swing Trades in Futures: This blog is another personally run source for commodity futures traders.
- Matt McKinney Option Plays & Futures Trading Strategies: A good personal blog that outlines various futures strategies including those concerning commodities.
- Wang’s Happy Trading: Another great personal blog with an established following.
- Odds: A blog that aims to help make options and futures easy that has been active for over four years.
- Infinity Trading: A great resource on the futures world as a whole.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.